Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Hierarchy of Pork


I love pork! Americans love beef. Filipinos love pork. Any kind of pork - chicharon, pork belly, pork egg rolls, pork chops, and my favorite, the lechon or roasted pig. If you happen to know my doctor, please don't tell him how much I love the pig! Heaven is a meal of crispy lechon skin, meat, steamed jasmine rice and Mang Tomas All Purpose Sauce

When I thought I've tasted everything pork, my foodie friends, Luigi and Luli Bernas, introduced me to the Pritchon last year. Pritchon is a whole pig, deep fried and served with pita bread and a cornucopia of sauces (pictured above). This is the Filipino version of peking duck but ten times the size and flavor. It's cholesterol in a pita bread - but worth every bite.  

Anthony Bourdain - The Pork Guru of all pork lovers proclaimed the Heirarchy of Pork in this order: 3rd place is Puerto Rico, 2nd place is Bali, Indonesia, and in 1st place, the ultimate Mecca for the best Pork in the world, is the Philippines! Check out Tony's food network show and blog on the Philippines and see for yourself what this former chain smoking, lambanog drinking chef, is talking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment